Lions are often called “The King of Beasts.” As top predators, lions are important to the health of their habitatWhere an animal or plant normally lives and grows..
They are also different from other kinds of cats in many ways. Get a paw up on what makes these cats so cool:
· A male lion’s maneLong, heavy hair that grows around the neck and head of some mammals, such as horses and male lions. gets thicker and darker with age. But there are male lions living in hot dry areas that have no maneLong, heavy hair that grows around the neck and head of some mammals, such as horses and male lions.!
· A lion’s roar can be heard three miles away!
· They are the only cats that live in a group, called a pride. Working together to hunt helps them get bigger preyNoun: An animal that is hunted as food by another animal. Verb: To attempt to take an animal for food., like a zebra or Cape buffalo. A lone lion usually takes down smaller animals, like a Thomson's gazelle.
· Lions are the only cats with a tuft on the tip of the tail. Scientists think the cats wave it to signal each other during a hunt.
· Every whisker sprouts from a black dot on the lion’s face. The pattern of those dots is as different as our fingerprints. Researchers can use this to tell lions apart.
· A female lion can run at more than 30 miles per hour (but only for a short distance). Male lions are slower.
Lions have been an important part of the San Diego Zoo for 100 years! In fact, it’s because of a lion that the Zoo was even “born.” Our founder heard the roar of a lion left behind after a fair, and decided to care for the cat and start a zoo!